Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Green Leafy Salad - Day 1




Our Coastal Plain CASA supporters answered the challenge, and I'm now eating a salad a day for some time to come. We do have a small problem - the Chase Community Giving application got overrun with voters in the final hours, and the board that showed number of friends who voted - well, it crashed. I know it was close to 365 and probably went a bit over, so we have some time to work with. We'll just have to find an equitable solution before a full year is up. :)

In the meantime, today was Day 1. It was a busy court date, with staff and volunteers in attendance to advocate for fifteen foster children, so I had to grab a quick fast food salad for lunch. Today was the new Spicy Chicken Ceasar from Wendy's, pictured with this post. I found the chicken, of course, to be quite good. ;)

In all seriousness, the greens were fresh and they made for a nice blend of flavors with the spicy chicken - rather spicy, actually - and the cheese. I was less than impressed with the sliced cheese used in the salad, but it had a decent flavor. It's going to take me a while to like tomatoes - if I ever do. My wife tells me that fast food tomatoes are usually not great, so maybe when I can get to the farmer's market for fresh produce ...

Well, that's about it. I'm still hoping to get some salad recipes at my email address - CasaGregGoesGreen@bellsouth.net. Just one so far. I'm looking forward to trying a great variety of salads and need you to send some my way! I promise to try every one for as long as the challenge lasts - how ever many days that turns out to be!

2 comments:

  1. If you're on the go and need a good fast food salad, I recommend Zaxby's House Salad, with ranch dressing, no cucumbers. This is my favorite salad. They are addictive! lol I think Abram has a salad recipe he wants to send you! Enjoy your greens! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Greg!! I too like Elizabeth LOVE Zaxby's salads. I get the grilled hour salad, but with thousand island (NO tomatoes!). Or also and on the go salad that I enjoy is the Chick-fil-A salad instead of their fries. I get the house dressing (I find that house dressing is not available at all locations though, so not sure if they'll have it in your area.) Also another home-made salad I LOVE... Fruit salad of course (might be kind of cheating, but its healthy and GOOD!) and watergate salad (again no leaves, but it is green, LOL. Let me know if you need the recipe). Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete