Sunday, July 18, 2010

Farmer's Market Fresh





We finally made it to the Downtown Tifton Farmer's Marketon Saturday. Got some fresh onions, green peppers and tomatoes to put on the green, leafy salad stuff. We also bought some yellow squash and Georgia peaches for good measure. I was amazed to note that our total bill was about $1300!! That alone may be a good reason to start eating healthy on an ongoing basis!

Due to the growing season in south Georgia, we had to go with a bag salad for the lettuce - also included shredded carrots and radishes. You can see all of the ingrediants put together for my daily salad in one of the pics above.

Much to my surprise, the onions and peppers were quite good! The onions are a sweet variety, the seller told us, and added a nice flavor. The peppers gave a nice kick and a bit of a crunch. I even liked the carrots and radishes, though they were not exactly fresh.

I'm still not sure about tomatoes, though. These tomatoes (Early Girl variety, if we heard correctly) were better than the grape tomatoes on the fast food salad, but I still wasn't crazy about them. I gave it three bites and will try again over time. So far, not expecting to embrace tomatoes beyond this challenge.

My wife is certainly happy that I am eating - even beginning to enjoy - salads. She's been trying to get me into salads for 12 years of marraige, and hopefully we can get our toddler son into healthy eating through the good example of both of his parents.

Well, that's about it. I'm actually looking forward to future visits to the farmers' market - definitely not a statement that would have sprung from my mouth as little as two weeks ago! :)

Good night, and happy eating!!

No comments:

Post a Comment